Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Friend Ruby


My friend Ruby is a transplant like me; born in one country but raised in another.

One day she made an observation, one that’s so succinct it stays with me on and on… we are travelers at heart. We are never settled. 

She theorizes that this is due to us being born in one country but raised from an early age in another. When growing up in the states she, like me, never felt native; and when we came here to visit – on summer vacations or whatnot – we felt like tourists. 

Ruby is on Citalopram, also known as Celexa, .25mg x 3/ day. She’s been on it for several years now. Wiki says: Citalopram is approved to treat the symptoms of major depression.  

I remember when Ruby first told me that she was on the drug, I was surprised, not in the fact that she was on an antidepressant, but in the fact that she was so open and comfortable talking about it. She said to me, “You remember, Jenny, right? From college?”
“Yeah, your friend, I remember.”
“And Michelle?”
“Yeah, you guys all went shared the dorm.”
“Yupp, anyhow, we’re all on it, it’s like the new it thing, I mean Celexa is totally fine, it makes everything OK!”
She then continue to talk about the beauty of SSRIs, a class of medication which when its all boiled down comes to, “This class of medication makes everything OK.”

No comments:

Post a Comment